Court summons jail official after gang-rape accused alleges beating

New Delhi, April 5 (IANS) The fast track court hearing Delhi gang-rape case has directed a Tihar Jail official to be personally present in the court Saturday to explain how accused Vinay Sharma fractured his hand and if any action had been taken on his allegations that he had been beaten up.

Sharma arrived in court Friday with a fractured hand and his counsel said jail inmates and police beat him up as he wanted to appear for an Indian Air Force (IAF) recruitment exam.

Additional Session Judge Yogesh Khanna also asked the superintendent of Jail number 7 to explain how Sharma was beaten up inside the jail last night and whether any further action is taken on that incident.

Asking the superintendent to file report how Sharma got his hand fractured, the court directed that he should “ensure security and safety of all the four accused”.

In the order the court said: “It is directed that complete medical examination of accused including X-ray should be done and brought to the court tomorrow (Saturday) also.”

It also asked jail superintendent to file a reply whether the accused can be shifted to Rohini Jail in wake of the incident. The court’s direction came after Vinay’s counsel moved application saying accused should be shifted from Tihar Jail to Rohini or Patiala House court to ensure their safety.

The court was concerned about the safety of four accused saying he had earlier directed the jail authorities to ensure security and safety of the accused after the main accused Ram Singh had allegedly committed suicide in his cell in the jail on March 11.

However, the court observed that Sharma’s elbow was fractured “due to a fall”, while referring to the medical report of G.B. Pant Hospital here.

Sharma’s counsel A.P. Singh, filing the application, also asked the court that a FIR be registered against those who beaten up Vinay.

Counsel, during the hearing, told the court that “Tihar Jail inmates and police beat up Sharma and broke his right hand so that he could not give his exam”.

Sharma was to appear April 7 for an IAF exam for vacancies of clerks.

His counsel told the court that the inmates had said to Sharma: “You want to give the exam? You will write the exam with your right hand. We will break your hand.”

Singh requested the court to summon Tihar Jail’s superintendent to explain the incident. He also sought a transfer of the trial and asked that the accused be kept away from Delhi Police.

Special Public Prosecutor Dayan Krishnan also requested the court to summon the jail’s superintendent in court. “It troubles me greatly. It is my duty to ensure a fair trial. I am also disturbed (with the incident),” Krishnan added.

Meanwhile, police, filing their reply on Sharma’s interim bail application, opposed his plea.

Police said that the accused was booked for serious allegations and he can “jump the bail”. It however said that can go to the exam centre in police custody and it has no objection in that.

Sharma moved a plea saying he has to appear in IAF exam, so he should be allowed two days interim bail to prepare and give the exam.

The opinions, beliefs and viewpoints expressed by authors, news service providers on this page do not necessarily reflect the opinions, beliefs and viewpoints of Hill Post. Any views or opinions are not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, or individual. Hill Post makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site page.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.