New Delhi: From India’s highest civil honour Bharat Ratna to the global music world’s prized Grammy, which he won thrice, sitar maestro Ravi Shankar was a much awarded man. Some achievements of the iconic musician who took Indian classical music to the international platform:
– He received the Padma Bhushan in 1967, Padma Vibhushan in 1981 and Bharat Ratna in 1999.
– He is also a three-time Grammy award winner. He bagged a nomination again for the 2013 Grammy Awards for his album “The Living Room Sessions Part-1”. Interestingly, he is pitted against his daughter Anoushka in the category.
– He shared an Oscar with George Fenton for the original musical score for the 1982 movie “Gandhi”.
– Shankar was an honorary member of the American Academy of Arts and Letters and also a member of the United Nations International Rostrum of composers.
– He received the Music Council UNESCO award in the year 1975.
– Shankar won the Silver Bear Extraordinary Prize of the Jury at the 1957 Berlin International Film Festival for composing the music for the movie “Kabuliwala”.
– He was awarded the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award for 1962, and was named a Fellow of the academy for 1975.
– He received the Kalidas Samman from the government of Madhya Pradesh for 1987-88, the Fukuoka Asian Culture Prize in 1991, the Ramon Magsaysay Award in 1992, and the Polar Music Prize in 1998.
– In 2001, Shankar was made Honorary Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire by Queen Elizabeth II for his “services to music”.
– Shankar in 1997 received the Praemium Imperiale for music from the Japan Art Association.
– In 2010, Shankar received an Honorary Doctor of Laws from the University of Melbourne, Australia.
The opinions, beliefs and viewpoints expressed by authors, news service providers on this page do not necessarily reflect the opinions, beliefs and viewpoints of Hill Post. Any views or opinions are not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, or individual.
Hill Post makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site page.