Assam CM vacate home or pay rent – Meghalaya lawmaker

Shillong: The several-decade old boundary dispute between Meghalaya and Assam has taken a new dimension, with a senior legislator demanding Assam’s Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi to “vacate his official residence” or “pay house rent” to Meghalaya.

Paul Lyngdoh from the United Democratic Party, one of the constituents of the ruling Congress coalition Government, said in the Assembly today, Meghalaya must take up the matter with the Chief Minister immediately.

Calling the attention of the House, Lyngdoh quoted a recent media report in which Minister in-charge, Revenue, RC Laloo had said that Meghalaya has the necessary document to prove that Gogoi lives in a disputed area which Meghalaya has staked claim for over a decade now.

“I urge the Meghalaya Government to officially write to the Assam Chief Minister to vacate the land and hand it over to Meghalaya or asked to pay house rent to the Government of Meghalaya,” Lyngdoh said.

Meghalaya and Assam has 12 areas of boundary dispute. Both states are initiating a Chief Secretary level talk to iron out the festering differences.

The revenue Minister said that Meghalaya has submitted its document at the ongoing CS-level talks in support of its claim over Khanapara which houses the Assam Chief Minister’s official residence.

Gogoi lives in a State Guest House on a hillock known as Khanadhura along the Assam-Meghalaya border. Laloo said that the guest House was constructed in 1976 and leaders from Meghalaya objected to its construction during that time.

But due to the intervention of the then Assam Governor the construction was allowed to go on after a meeting of the Chief Ministers of Assam and Meghalaya. However, the issue of boundary was left pending for future resolution.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.