New Delhi, May 26 (IANS) In yet another attack by Maoists in a forested area of Chhattisgarh’s southern Bastar region, a Congress party convoy was ambushed in Sukma district around 5.15 p.m. Saturday.
The convoy, returning from the party’s Parivartan Yatra (transformation rally), was waylaid near Darbha forest in Jagdalpur, about 340 km south of state capital Raipur. At least 16 people were killed and 25 others were injured, some of them critically.
Timeline of similar naxal attacks:
* July 2010: A group of Maoists stormed into the house of Congress leader Avdesh Gautam in Dantewada district and brutally killed his 15-year-old brother-in-law and an associate.
* April 6, 2010: In a major and most brutal Maoist attack, about 75 Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and a state police personnel were killed in Mukrana forests of Chhattisgarh’s Dantewada district.
* April 13, 2009: Ten paramilitary troopers killed in eastern Odisha when Maoists attacked a bauxite mine in Koraput district.
* September 26, 2009: Rebels killed sons of Bharatiya Janata Party MP from Balaghat Baliram Kashyap at Pairaguda village in Jagdalpur, Chhattisgarh.
* October 8, 2009: Seventeen policemen were killed in an ambush by Maoists at the Laheri police station in Gadchiroli district of Maharashtra.
* July 1, 2008: Maoist rebels carried out attacks on a police station, killing nine people, including policemen, at an outpost in Sasaram in Bihar’s Rohtas district and flee with arms and ammunition.
* March 5, 2007: Jharkhand Mukti Morcha’s Lok Sabha member Sunil Kumar Mahato shot dead by Maoists. Two of his bodyguards and a party colleague also killed in the attack while watching a football match at a village in Jamshedpur in Jharkhand.
* September 7, 2007: Former Andhra Pradesh chief minister N. Janardhan Reddy and his wife N. Rajyalakshmi escape unhurt while three Congress workers are killed in a Maoist attack in the state’s Nellore district.
* February 9, 2006: Eight Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) personnel killed when rebels raid a warehouse of the National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC) and take away explosives from a village near Bailadila in Jagdalpur in Chhattisgarh.
* November 13, 2005: Hundreds of activists of the banned Communist Party of India (Maoist) attack the police line in south Bihar’s Jehanabad district.