Russia warns North Korea against rocket launch

Moscow: Russia called on North Korea today to abandon plans to launch a space rocket later this month, which Pyongyang announced on the weekend.

“We strongly appeal to the North Korean government to reconsider the decision to launch the rocket,” the foreign ministry said in a statement.

The launch would contradict resolutions imposed by the UN Security Council, the ministry said.

Russia said it regretted the North Korean Space Technology Committee’s announcement that a rocket carrying a satellite would be launched between Dec 10 and 22.

The first stage of the three-stage long-range rocket has been already installed on the launch pad, a Seoul government source told Yonhap news agency Monday. It will take up to four days to set up the remaining two, the anonymous source was quoted as saying.

The launch will be North Korea’s second attempt this year. A previous launch in April failed when the rocket crashed into the Yellow Sea minutes after lift-off.

North Korea maintains it wants to put satellites into orbit for peaceful purposes, while the international community suspects the launches could be a cover for development of an intercontinental ballistic missile.

North Korea has previously tested nuclear weapons underground.

– IANS

Image Credits : The Australian News

The opinions, beliefs and viewpoints expressed by authors, news service providers on this page do not necessarily reflect the opinions, beliefs and viewpoints of Hill Post. Any views or opinions are not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, or individual. Hill Post makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site page.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.