Dehradun: Twelve people (11 according to PTI) died within a few hours after eating wild boar meat leaving several others ill, some seriously due to food poisoning in Pinani village of Kotdwara region in Pauri Garhwal.
Delayed reports said that the villagers found a dead boar in the fields on October 9 which was retrieved and cooked for a village feast.
About 300 are said to have fallen ill and about three dozen of them are serious.
Chief minister BC Khanduri visited those taken ill at the district hospital at Pauri and asked for shifting those taken seriously ill to Dehradun of Delhi for better treatment.
Khanduri also announced ex-gratia payment of Rs 1 lakh to the next of kin of those who had died.
A magisterial inquiry into the incident has been ordered.
The sudden deaths are believed to have occurred because of a deadly virus, which has not been reported in the area earlier.
The opinions, beliefs and viewpoints expressed by authors, news service providers on this page do not necessarily reflect the opinions, beliefs and viewpoints of Hill Post. Any views or opinions are not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, or individual.
Hill Post makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site page.