Chinese Firm Bags Order To Build World Bank Funded Hill Road

Shimla: The Himachal cabinet at its meet in Dharamshala today approved upgradation of three road projects worth Rs 431.13 crore that are to be funded through a World Bank project which was approved late last year.

Contract for upgrading the 81 kilometeTheog-Kotkhai-Hatkoti-Rohru Roadr Theog-Kotkhai-Hatkoti-Rohru road in Shimla district was awarded to a Chinese construction firm, a cabinet spokesman said.

The other road projects a 45 kilometer stretch of Una-Barsar road bundled with the 46 kilometer Barsar-Jahu road was awarded to an Indian firm.

The Mehtpur-Una-Amb road already stand awarded for a sum of Rs 126.50 crore and involves a length of 45 Kms, he added

These projects are a part of the Phase I of the core road network improvement component of the World Bank funded HP State Road project.

Total cost of Himachal Pradesh State Road project is estimated to be $ 303.43 million (Rs 1365.435 crores) with the World Bank loan amounting to $ 220 million (Rs 990 crores).

The state government would have to meet the balance amount of $ 83.43 million (Rs 375.435 crores).

With Himachal being a special category state, 90% of the loan amounting to $ 220 million will be made available to the state on a grant basis by the central government and the remaining 10 % as loan.

As Editor, Ravinder Makhaik leads a team of media professionals at Hill Post. Spanning a career of over two decades in mass communication, as a Documentary Filmmaker, TV journalist, Print Media journalist and with Online & Social Media, he brings with him a vast experience. He lives in Shimla.

Join the Conversation

3 Comments

  1. Jubbal-Kotkhai belt is famous for its apple orchids and road is the only medium for transporting apple to the markets. The steep road and narrow curves makes it difficult for the truck drivers to drive through. Even the localities face many problems in the winters when the Khara-Pathar road is covered with a thick sheet of black ice, leading to many accidents. The previous government had tried to widen the road but the project needed some support and now as the Chinese people have taken up the project, I hope to see some positive result very soon.

  2. says: Indra Nath Mishra

    Dear sir,

    It is OK that Indian Construction companies should work overseas or foreign Construction companies come here. But it would be fatal if we award the work to Chinese Construction companies in strategiv location where there is border with China or Pakistan.

    Lots of Chinese contractors have been entrusted for the work of state highway improvement & reconstruction work in Himachal Pradesh. Himachal being close to China may pose danger in the future. Here Dalai Lama is also residing. Chinese Construction companies have bagged the work in lowest rate albeit they may have passed pre-qualification criteria. Here biggest threat is that considering China’s diplomatic/security & colluding policy with Pakistan & even it’s conflicting relation with India with regard to Arunachal Pradesh or even Tibet issue may make it to formulate evil- designs to get the inputs, conditions, route survey etc. This will be disaster to India. While awarding contracts , this life to death concern was not understood . India is not constructing anything in China. Doing trade business is different but giving them establishment that too in border states where situation is so vulnerable will invite havoc. If they are doing construction in Delhi or where border is not falling, it is not of that much concern.

    They may have sinister designs & may try get Trans- Himalayan Highway Project & Trans- Arunachal Highway Project ( which govt. is proposing to construct in Arunachal Pradesh ) .

    China has been carrying rapid infrastructural development in Tibet Autonomous Region (TAR) and in areas along the border with India. It is is carrying out construction of strategic roads, railway lines and airfields close to the LAC, which has improved its military capability. This is the area where struggle is there from last 60 years from inside the region itself who wants to be free.

    This must be checked as it directly deals with India’s security.

Leave a comment
Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.