Nalagarh is the gateway to Himachal Pradesh in North India. The Fort is located on a hillock at the foothills of the mighty Himalayas affording a panoramic view of the Shivalik Hills beyond the Sirsa river.
The Garh rises above a 20 acre estate of forest and orchard and is built on five levels, three of which have well manicured lawns.
Fort Nalagarh was built during the reign of Raja Bikram Chand in 1421. It was ruled by the Chandela Rajputs who originated from Chanderi in the Bundelkhand region of central India.
The Fort is located on a hillock at the foothills of the mighty Himalayas surrounded by acres of greenery.
The impressive Diwan-E-Khas at the Fort (now the Conference/Banquet Hall) was built by Raja Sansar Chand in 1618.
Nalagarh was the capital of the kingdom of Hindur founded by Raja Ajai Chand in 1100 A.D. It was ruled by the Chandela Rajputs. The Chandela kings were great patrons of art and architecture. Raja Ram Chander, another illustrious ruler of the same dynasty, was also a great builder who constructed the Ramgarh Fort and the town of Ramshere. Raja Surendra Singh was the last ruler of Nalagarh and his son, Raja Vijayendra is the present ceremonial ruler of Nalagarh
The Nalagarh Fort has a series of structures that are mostly built in the Mughal style of architecture. These have been exhaustively renovated and are now a quality heritage resort with panoramic view of Shivalik Hills.