In August mornings are often grey and foggy, humid with a chilly tinge; a mysterious world with a damp and fantastic atmosphere. The view is bewildered and blurred with clouds; thick with fog and mist; photographic negative.
A landscape of fuzzy outlines; the trees are just hazy shapes; mountains coming in the way the rays of sun hindering light and radiant energy.
Panorama is of cloudy skies & “Indistinct shapes in the gloom”; dim & smoggy. A tangibly thick cloud of water vapour in the air makes it difficult to see. Through the fog the sunlight gleams sarcastically. Beyond the fog lie silver linings. Shining sun is synonymous with an “optimistic outlook.” showing good spirits.
In some cities, there is too much sun and in others, it barely shines. In my vague memory of clear, bright days of 1983 in Denmark, I ponder over my days in Copenhagen where in August, Sun rose just after 5 in the morning and set a little before 9 in the evening. Also while in Norway in 1999, I came to know that “The least sunny city in the world is in Norway and spends 6 months a year in the dark.”
- Shimla is one of the cities in India that is great to visit throughout the year. Shimla’s climate can be best described as having mild summers and cool winters with the peak of the monsoon season in August. According to meteorology around 3261 hours of sunshine are counted in Shimla throughout the year. Even on sunny days, the sky in a corner could be dark& gray. On average, May is the sunniest month with 300 hours of sunshine. August has on average the lowest amount of sunshine with 198 hours.
- I am not afraid of going into the mist.”Sometimes we need the fog to remind ourselves that all of life is not black and white.
- For a healthy lifestyle getting some exercise at any point in the day is good, it keeps laziness at bay, increases energy, Improves brain function; & one can sleep better. Choosing the best time can help one make the most out of the routine. Brief but consistent walks can have great effects on the mind and body; instills a feeling of well-being. Walking is a great option to get a fabulously toned body without having to do strenuous exercises.
- When it comes to walking, mornings are the best time. Distractions and schedule interruptions are fairly uncommon at the start of the day. A brisk morning walk can help in restoring muscle tone, make one feel rejuvenated and refreshed. It can also alleviate fatigue and boost one’s energy levels with a more relaxed and calm feeling.
- There is less pollution in the air, which allows us to get an adequate amount of oxygen and fresh air. The cool and fresh morning air also helps one feel more active and energized. A brisk walk to start one’s day can leave one feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. It helps in reducing fatigue, keeping one feeling energised with improved self-esteem, better mood, and reduced stress and anxiety; by making the person energetic, positive, and joyful.
- A morning walk is an excellent opportunity to catch up with friends, be social and be part of one’s local community, all whilst staying active.
- At the end of the day, one can get a good night’s sleep and feel well-rested when one wakes up. The morning hours have the least amount of pollution in the air. Fresh air has oxygen, rich in negative ions.
- I try to choose a route that is smooth and comfortable to walk on, avoiding broken footpaths and pothole-ridden roads. Perhaps, Forest Hill Road is a good choice.
- In the morning, my wife, Dr. Vishav Kirti, reminds me to be ready for a walk. She often tells me:
- Leading an inactive life has many negative effects on the body.
- Can have wonderful effects on physical and mental health. Improves memory and lowers the risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s; helps minimize the symptoms of depression. Morning walks improve mental well-being and cognitive skills.
- Studies have shown that morning walk is extremely beneficial in preventing the lifestyle diseases like diabetes, thyroid and hypertension.
- Morning walks are great to tone the muscles of your lower body like the leg muscles and glutes. It can also tighten your core if you maintain a good posture while walking.
- Walking daily can also define the muscles in your calves, buttocks and quads; better immunity and a breath of fresh air as well. You can tone your tummy and other parts of your body.
- The oxidation reaction quotient in the cells of your body can be increased significantly with a walk. Walking is a low-intensity physical activity that helps keep all your cell functions active. You also give your body the opportunity to absorb vitamin D from the sun’s first rays.
- Exposing yourself to the bright morning sun can assist in setting your natural circadian rhythm.
In Shimla, morning walkers carry on in all seasons; in rains with umbrellas and during winters wearing warm garments.