Dehradun, July 1 (IANS) No more construction will be allowed along the river banks in Uttarakhand, Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna announced Monday.
This is among the measures meant to rebuild Uttarakhand after last month’s devastating natural disaster. He said a new agency would come up for this.
“An Uttarakhand Rehabilitation and Reconstruction Authority chaired by the chief minister will be established to decide planning and development of the state,” Bahuguna told the media here.
“No permission will be given for construction along river banks,” he said.
Bahuguna said the government would provide free ration to all those affected by the floods. Villages which have been cut off after roads were washed away will receive supplies for a month.
“Water and power bills for flood-affected people have been (waived).”
“People who have taken loans given by state banks won’t have to pay interest for a year. All commercial establishments, from small dhabas to hotels, will be provided compensation,” he said.