Rome, May 20 (IANS) Walter Mazzarri announced that he has decided to quit as Napoli head coach and will be ready to evaluate offers from other clubs.
“I have ended my era here at Napoli,” Mazzarri said after his side lost away to Roma 1-2 Sunday, reports Xinhua.
“I had already made the decision some time ago. I thank the president and director Riccardo Bigon for trying to change my mind to the last minute. I had considered this last summer, which is why I turned down a contract extension, and that was a risk considering I didn’ t know how this season was going to go,” he said.
“The lads have known me a long time and as Fabio Capello said in Italy it’s tough to last longer than four or five years at a single club. I am convinced that if I had stayed longer, certain members of the team would not have felt the same fire,” he said.
Mazzarri said next season he will go to coach another team, if he accepts their offer, or just rest at home. He has been linked with Inter Milan, AS Roma and Russian club Anzhi, among others.
“Out of respect for my club, I have not wanted to speak to any other side. Obviously my agent has been keeping an ear out, as I told him a year ago that I might consider a move,” he said.
Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis also saluted Mazzarri and revealed “the new coach will be named via Twitter.”
Among the candidates are Roberto Di Matteo, Rafa Benitez, Marcelo Bielsa and Giuseppe Sannino.