Court again seeks medical report of Delhi gang-rape accused

New Delhi, May 27 (IANS) A fast track Delhi court Monday directed the medical superintendent of a government hospital to file a comprehensive medical report of a Dec 16, 2012 gang-rape accused Vinay Sharma, who is in hospital since May 4.

Saying that the trial was getting delayed due to Sharma’s absence, Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna asked Lok Nayak Hospital to report when the accused would be in a position to appear before him.

The court, which has recorded statements of 79 witnesses in the case, said: “It is pertinent to mention that the reports so far received do not depict a clear picture of medical condition of accused Vinay Sharma.”

“It is also not clear as to when he shall be in a position to appear in the court,” the judge said, warning that he would summon hospital officials if they failed to furnish a fresh detailed report.

“In case a comprehensive report is not filed, the medical superintendent may then be summoned in person to explain the latest condition of the accused,” the court said.

“The medical superintendent of Lok Nayak Hospital is directed to provide a comprehensive report stating the latest medical condition of Vinay Sharma and as to when he shall be in position to appear, as only last witness needs to be examined, but due to the absence of accused, the trail is being delayed,” the court said.

Sharma is admitted to hospital since May 4 after he complained of high fever, sore throat and mouth ulcers.

A woman police investigator was present in the court for recording her statement but the process could not start as Sharma was absent.

“The investigation officer is present for her cross-examination but in the absence of one of the accused, it would not be desirable to record her statement, the question of identity of Vinay Sharma being involved,” the court noted.

The judge said the latest medical report of Sharma had been handed over to him wherein it was mentioned that the patient was stable at present but needed monitoring of his vitals.

Quoting the report, the court said that the accused was also to undergo echo-cardiography.

Sharma’s counsel moved an application seeking the court’s permission to shift him to a private hospital for better treatment.

The case relates to a 23-year-old woman who was brutally tortured and gang-raped in a moving bus by five men and a juvenile.

The juvenile is facing proceedings before a Juvenile Justice Board, while the four other accused were put up for trial in the fast-track court. One of the accused allegedly committed suicide in jail.

The opinions, beliefs and viewpoints expressed by authors, news service providers on this page do not necessarily reflect the opinions, beliefs and viewpoints of Hill Post. Any views or opinions are not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, or individual. Hill Post makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site page.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.