Washington, April 18 (IANS) Amid reports that investigators have found video footage of a man who they believe may have planted the deadly bombs at the Boston Marathon, authorities denied that an arrest had been made.
Investigators had pinpointed the image of the suspect on video that was captured shortly before the blast at the marathon finish line Monday, the New York Times reported Wednesday citing a person briefed on the matter.
The revelation of the video footage was the first sign that the authorities might be moving closer to discovering who was behind the attacks, which killed three people and injured 186, the Times said.
The possible break in the case came as investigators pored over scores of videos and photographs that they solicited from surveillance cameras from nearby businesses, as also spectators and television crews, it said
Meanwhile, CNN said after earlier reporting that there was “substantial” progress in the case, investigators in Washington and Boston had denied that an arrest had been made.
There is conflicting information as to whether someone has been arrested in connection with the Boston Marathon bombings, the news channel said.
CNN said a federal law enforcement source told the channel that someone was arrested. But later, two senior administration officials and another federal official told the reporter that there had been a misunderstanding among officials and that no one had been arrested.