Port of Spain (Trinidad), March 30 (IANS/CMC) The West Indies Players Association (WIPA) says it’s pondering its next move after losing a court battle with the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) over the security of players in the region.
CEO Michael Hall says WIPA lawyers are currently reviewing the ruling handed down by Trinidad and Tobago High Court judge, Justice Ricky Rahim.
The court ruled in favour of the WICB regarding a disputed Memorandum of Understandings (MOU) and Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) between the two parties.
The WIPA CEO has not ruled out filing an appeal.
“We have not come to a decision as far as that is concerned. You will appreciate that having received the ruling (earlier this week) and given the length of the ruling it will still be under review by our legal advisers and we await their opinion regarding the usefulness of an appeal before we make a decision,” Hall told the Express.
“As of this moment we do not have a decision regarding what approach we are going to take towards the ruling, but in the interim, I will say we respect the ruling of the court.”
In 2011, the WICB terminated the CBA/MOU but last year WIPA got an injunction keeping the agreements in force.
Following Tuesday’s ruling the WICB released a statement seeking to assure the players that their “best interest” will be served while signalling its intention to engage WIPA on the way forward.
“It is an encouraging sign that they recognise the fact that, notwithstanding the ruling came down in their favour; they still recognise the importance of the players being protected so we see that as a plus,” said Hall.
“But how that will actually be implemented is still not certain…we will have to sit and speak with them.”