Ex-J&K IGP denies filing CCTV footage in NC worker’s death

Srinagar: A former top Jammu and Kashmir Police official Thursday denied having filed any document, including CCTV footage, annexed to his counter- affidavit before a panel probing the death of ruling National Conference worker Haji Yusuf.

During the cross-examination by advocate Mushtaq Ahmad Dar, representing the family of the deceased NC worker, former inspector general of police (IGP) Raja Aijaz Ali said he had not filed any document including the CCTV footage pertaining to Haji Yusuf’s death with his counter-affidavit before the Justice H.S. Bedi commission.

“The former IGP (security) during his cross-examination today virtually denied having filed the counter affidavit which is otherwise on record with the Bedi commission.

“He denied having filed any annexure including CCTV footage etc. along with his counter affidavit which the state crime branch had filed on his behalf before the commission,” said the lawyer representing Yusuf’s family.

During another cross-examination, Deputy Superintendent of Police Bashir Ahmad Ganai of the state crime branch said he had followed the Supreme Court directions regarding arrest of a person while taking Yusuf into custody.

“Earlier contention of the state crime branch was that Yusuf had not been arrested by them. Dy. SP Ganai said that he had followed Justice D.K. Basu directions regarding arrest of a person in the Yusuf’s case.

“I will be cross examining two doctors tomorrow (Friday) who performed the autopsy on the deceased body,” the lawyer said.

Yusuf’s family has alleged that he had been killed in custody, while the autopsy report mentioned that he died of cardiac arrest. A magisterial probe ordered by the state government has also ruled out any foul play in the death.

The mysterious death of Yusuf in police hospital here Sept 30, 2011 — a day after he was handed over to the state crime branch sleuths by Chief Minister Omar Abdullah — had ruffled many feathers.

Abdullah had called Yusuf to his Gupkar residence here Sept 29, 2011 following allegations by two NC workers that the latter had taken huge sums of money from them promising one a ministerial berth and the other a legislator’s post.

Retired judge of the Supreme Court, Justice H.S. Bedi is heading the one-man judicial commission to probe the case.

IANS

The opinions, beliefs and viewpoints expressed by authors, news service providers on this page do not necessarily reflect the opinions, beliefs and viewpoints of Hill Post. Any views or opinions are not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, or individual. Hill Post makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site page.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.