Two Burnt Alive In Himachal Fire Accident

Shimla: Two persons, including a driver of Himachal roadways, were burnt alive in a fire accident at a village dhaba cum grocery shop in Khanola village of Rohru sub-division of Shimla district on Monday night.

Police officer Ashwani Kumar said, “no foul play was suspected.” He said that the two persons who died in the fire accident have been identified as Rattan Thakur (36), a resident of Panjpiri village in Bilaspur district who was working as a driver with HRTC and Laxmi Singh (65), a resident of Khanola village.

A neighbor, Manmohan Singh noticed the fire at about 10.30 p.m and raised an alarm. Police and the fire fighters were rushed to the site and the flames were brought under control by about 12.30, said the investigating officer.

However, the duo who were sleeping inside, could not be saved and were declared burnt dead, he said.

The police have ruled out foul play as a son of Laxmi Singh, who lives close to the accident site had served them dinner at about 8 p.m. Intermittent rains and an intense cold wave sweeping the region the two are said to have gone to bed early as there was a power failure in the local grid.

A candle or a fire lamp is believed to have ignited the dwelling and as there were flammable oil stocks in the grocery store, the inferno did not give a chance for the two to escape, police said.

As Editor, Ravinder Makhaik has nurtured Hill Post for over a decade. A chequered path had him drift from managing family owned apple orchards, to turning a documentary filmmaker, to a journalist - with India’s leading television networks and newspapers, to boot strapping in founding Start-Ups. He lives in Shimla.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.