Fire destroyed 10 homes in Chauhar ghati of Mandi district on Thursday night. 16 families are homeless due to the fire and authorities are estimating loss of around Rs. 70-75 Lakhs. Chhuchhal village is in remote area of Mandi and there is no fire prevention system available.
Electric short circuit is supposed to be cause of this fire, which eventually spread in the internal wheat storage area, as most of the homes in higher areas are made of mostly wood, fire spread within no time.
Chhucchal village comes under Ropa panchayat and is almost 6 kms. away from main road so relief work form local administration was hard to reach. Local SDM Mr. Rattan Gautam said that they were able to reach the village on Friday only and Rs. 10,000 immediate relief is given to each family.
Thakur Kaul Singh, Cabinet Minister of Himachal, was in Una and directed, Chandershekhar Thakur of Drang constituency to provide immediate relief of blankets and essential items to every family.